Under supervision, assists a team of Procurement & Contracts Specialists or other procurement, contracts or compliance staff with related assignments, to relieve the procurement, contracts or compliance staff of some administrative detail and to perform complex clerical or administrative purchasing- related tasks.
Procurement & Contracts Assistants are located in the General Services Agency and typically work with a team of Procurement & Contracts Specialists under the direction of a Senior Procurement & Contracts Specialist or other higher level procurement and contracting classifications and/or Business Analyst. They perform clerical or administrative tasks related to the processing of purchasing documents. The classification is distinguished from the higher level classifications of Procurement & Contracts Specialist I/II in that assignments are of a less complex nature and employees in this classification act in a supportive role to the procurement, contracts or compliance function.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
1. As directed, assists with commodity purchases, obtains prices and other related information for requisitions from existing contracts, obtains telephone quotations and places orders on selected items and emergency calls.
2. Researches, collects and compiles data to assist in preparation of bid solicitations, compliance matters, contracts and other selected items.
3. Answers questions from ordering departments concerning product and ordering information, availability, pricing and order status (requires use of department computer). Answers questions from vendors and prospective bidders concerning County requirements.
4. Under direction, interviews salespersons, answers questions, and obtains product information.
5. Assists in the solving of various purchasing problems related to delivery, payment, price discrepancies, incorrect merchandise, processing issues, inadequate service and damaged merchandise.
6. Proofreads prepared specifications, bids and purchase orders for completeness.
7. Develops and maintains statistical records and other reports.
8. Prepares, computes and issues change orders against open purchase orders as directed.
9. Maintains files of procurement and contracting correspondence and documents.
10. Cross-trains with other Assistants.
11. Accumulates, sorts and delivers mail.
12. Assists with purchasing financial system issues, such as system testing and troubleshooting.
13. Maintains databases and data on procurement and contracting website.
14. Assists in the preparation for, and attends bidder s conferences, business outreach meetings, vendor fairs and other purchasing related events.
The equivalent of one year of full-time experience in the class of Specialist Clerk, Lead Clerk, or an equivalent or higher-level class in the Alameda County classified service. (Non-classified includes District Attorney s Office and the Hospital Authority.)
The equivalent of three years of full-time clerical experience, one year of which was related to fundamentals of buying is desirable. (The equivalent of completion of two years of college with course work in business, marketing or a related field may be substituted for two years of experience.)